Sunday, August 29, 2010

CACTUS JELLY



Found a way cool recipe for Cactus Jelly. I made two different types one with lime and one with lemon. They both came out yummy! The beautiful orange color just brightens the day. The cactus jells easily, its one of the few jelly recipes that when it says "ladle immediately into jars" it's not kidding!


Don't be alarmed by the slightly gooey consistency of the cactus fruit juice, remember it's a cactus! I found my fruits at a local farmers market. Some of you may be lucky enough to have cactus growing in your backyard.

Here's the recipe, original recipe from the Jamlady Cookbook

2 1/2 Cups prickly pear cactus fruit juice (make juice like you would any other fruit)

1/2 Cup lemon or lime juice. I used fresh squeezed, the lemon and lime have distinct flavor differences in the finished product.

5 Cups sugar

1 Box powdered pectin (brand that contains at least 18 teaspoons)

Hard boil cactus fruit juice, pectin and lemon/lime juice for 3 minutes. Add sugar and bring back to a boil for minutes or until gel stage has been reached. Immediately pour into jars, seal and process 10 minutes in water bath.

YUMMY!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather and welcome to the blog hop. I have found many wonderful blogs through it. Many of you inspire me to start canning once again...its been about 7 years.

    As my hubby and I are stuck here in San Diego for another year, its a joy to read blogs about gardening, farming and canning. I'm taking many notes for our future farm.

    blessings,
    jilly

    ReplyDelete