Saturday, March 26, 2011

BeeKeeping, Bar Top Hive, the beginning....

I've been trying to make better decisions on what we eat and where it comes from. So after having had a large chemical free garden for many years I expanded into backyard chicken keeping and now it's only natural that my family and I keep bees. My husband and I sat down and did a lot of research and talking about our options. We decided on building and using a Bar Top hive. In one afternoon we built our first hive. We had the materials at the house, left over from other projects, so the cost was minimal.



The Follower boards...............





Half way done.............................





Finished!

The bees should bee here in mid-April unless we find a local swarm first. We are limited here in the city to how many hives we can have, and we want to maintain good neighbor relations, so we probably wont do more than two here in our yard. Wish us luck and I'll keep you posted on our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment